Saturday was my day off.  So what do I do on my day off?  Cardio!!

I had signed up for an experiment in extended Spin class-ing (my new word).  Normally Spin classes are about an hour, maybe 75 min.  But this time?  2 hours straight!  I have done 2 classes back-to-back many times, but there was a lull in between classes.  This time it would be 2 hours no stopping.  There were also 3 teachers, splitting the time up into 3×40 min blocks:  a warm-up, the main work, and a cooldown.  Those teachers, in order, would be:  Courtney, Norman and Sarah.  I have never had Norman as an instructor before, but I otherwise had a good idea of what to expect.  Just MORE of it, haha.

Norman, Sarah, Courtney!

Norman, Sarah, Courtney!

The class itself was mostly full, maybe 4 or 5 bikes empty.  Sometimes people rsvp but don’t show up.  Oh well.  I didn’t get any pictures really, because I was… um… spinning, duh!


setting up

this is what it looks like when I take a pic of myself while spinning...

this is what it looks like when I take a pic of myself while spinning…

this is what it looks like when I take a pic of other while spinning...

this is what it looks like when I take a pic of other while spinning…


So how was it?  It did not get off to a good start.  I pre-loaded with water like I do before ANY activity; weights, spin, yoga, I always drink a few cups of water first.  It keeps me hydrated, and it also makes me sweat more.  My body sees I have a surplus, it sees I am overheating, so it lets me sweat without hesitation, which also carries the benefit of cleaning out my pores.

For some reason, today my body did NOT want to hold on to water.  I pre-loaded like always, and almost instantly peed it out.  I drank 2 cups of water 15 min before class, and peed THREE times before class!  Isn’t that odd?  And the final kicker:  30 seconds into the first song on the bike, I felt pressure in my bladder again… I had grabbed a bike embedded in the far corner of the room, behind a forest of people, no chance for me to worm my way out without a big scene.  So I held it in.  For 2 hours, I needed to go to the bathroom.  This made me not want to drink much more water, which dehydrated me a bit, and slowed me down some.

So I worked hard, but it wasn’t awesome, it wasn’t optimal.  I like to race hard and sweat hard, but this time I had to not go 100%.

My legs were also sore from the Friday workout, so this 2 hours was a chance to get some burn in, and a chance to flush my legs out.  No regrets, I showed up and put in the work.


Otherwise, I enjoyed my Saturday, came home from the spin and passed out for an hour, woke up totally fried (guess that 2 hour ride took more out of me than I thought), cooked up a big pot of chili, and got lots more sleep.


Sunday I slept in, even more than usual since the gym opens late on Easter Sunday.  No spin classes today either, boo hiss!

Today was upper body push day, and I would do my own cardio after.


Chest & Tri:  (30 seconds rest b/w all sets)

incline fly:  60 x 12, 12; 70 x 12

cable crossovers:  77 x 12; 143 x 12, 12

incline db press:  110 x 15, 15, 9

flat db press:  110 x 12, 12, 12, 12

skullcrushers:  60 x 15, 15, 15, 15

one hand seated db extension:  25 x 12/12, 25×4/0; 20 x 10/12, 8/12

rope pushdown:  127 x 12, 10; 83 x 8, 61 x 12

abs:  hanging knee raise x 13,9; roman chair knee raise x 10, 7; prone leg raise x 15, 15

cardio:  elliptical – 55% bodyweight, incline 9, 60 min


notes:  As I said a few days back, I pre-exhausted my chest with the isolations so that my chest would feel it more on the presses before my shoulder got tired.  Turns out it also had the side benefit of warming my shoulder up!  Hooray!  Total success!

As always, someone was using the 35 lb dumbbells, so I dropped in weight as I waited for the other guy to finish.  No sense sitting there waiting doing nothing.

With the incline dumbbell press, I was doing ok, but then a young woman 6 feet to my right cried out to her boyfriend:  the 40 lb [dumbbells] are TOO HARD!!!  And the panic and scrambling as he pulled them off her caused me to lose focus and fail out early on my 3rd set.  I could have gone again, but screw it.  Why tempt fate while my shoulder felt good?  The flat presses went quite well, thankfully, easy actually.

Conversely, the skullcrushers were quite hard, but I grunted and pushed it out!  Hooray!  success!  I felt nice and sore and pumped after those, but it left me too weak to get much done on the extensions, like last week.  I might try doing the pushdowns next time before the extensions, see if that works better.  I think the skullcrushers and the extensions might be too similar a movement, but I don’t feel the same exhaustion on the pushdowns, so let’s shuffle it up a bit.

As for the pushdowns, the rope at that weight was quite hard so I had to explode down to get it down, and smooth on the way back up.  I was feeling really good and strong, so I did closegrip pushups against the wall in between sets to keep my triceps pumped.  For the last set I dropped the weight, did a bunch then drop setted down one more to get another set in.  It worked well as a tricep finisher!  I had been feeling for a week or two like my triceps and biceps can handle a good finisher at the end, put a button on the whole thing.

For the abs, my grip was giving out after 2 sets, but my abs wanted more, so I moved to the roman chair and did 2 more sets.  After 2 sets I felt myself sliding around in the arm rests, and my shoulders were sagging, but my abs wanted more, so I went to the mat and laid down and did leg raises from there.  Think of it like an abdominal drop set!  haha.

I was feeling really good and engaged and focused, so I wanted the cardio to be good and hard.  I set the incline high, I set the resistance nice and heavy, I put in the headphones, and went at it, going slow on the slow songs and fast on the fast songs.  After an hour I was dripping sweat!  I checked the display, and it said for my weight and my resistance and my speed… that hour I had burned 1495 calories!!!  Can you believe that??!?  I am not sure I can, but either way, it was a darn good cardio session.


I came back home happy and tired.  Ate some chili, and got ready for some Walking Dead and Game of Thrones!  No regrets today!  What about you?  Any good workouts this Easter weekend?